1. Haberler
  2. 1. FSV Mainz 05
  3. Mainz suffer heavy defeat at the hands of FC Bayern

Mainz suffer heavy defeat at the hands of FC Bayern


Bu Yazıyı Paylaş

veya linki kopyala

The Zerofivers fell to a 6-2 defeat at the hands of FC Bayern Munich on Saturday afternoon. Serge Gnabry gave the hosts the lead with just 5 minutes on the clock, before Jamal Musiala doubled their advantage just before the half-hour mark. Mainz responded well to going behind and they nearly pulled one back in the 32nd minute, when Jonny Burkardt and Jae-Sung Lee hit the woodwork in quick succession. There was a frantic end to the half with two missed penalties and two goals within just four minutes of each other. Svensson’s side, however, went into the dressing room with a 3-1 deficit to overturn. The Zerofivers came out fighting in the second half, but Leon Goretzka (58’) and Mathys Tel (79’) put to bed any hopes of an FSV comeback. Marcus Ingvartsen grabbed a consolation in the 82nd minute before Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting got the hosts’ sixth in the 86th.


Bo Svensson made three changes from the side that beat FC Köln last time out. Silvan Widmer, Leandro Barreiro and Jonny Burkardt came in for Danny da Costa, Dominik Kohr and Marcus Ingvartsen. 


Mainz make positive start despite going behind early on 

Bayern got off to the better start and had a good chance in the opening stages, when Gnabry whipped a dangerous ball from the flank into Sadio Mané, but the Senegal international could only find the side-netting (3’). It didn’t take long, however, for the hosts to take the lead. With just five minutes on the clock, Sadio Mané played a ball into the area and, after a clever dummy from Musiala, it fell into the path of Serge Gnabry, who slotted it home from close-range (5’). Mainz were unfazed by the early goal and they nearly responded straight away through Karim Onisiwo, who tested Ulreich from a tight angle (6’). Shortly after, Silvan Widmer had a chance at the back-post, but his header was straight at the Bayern keeper (13’).


Bayern double their lead, Mainz rattle the woodwork twice

Sadio Mané continued to look dangerous for the hosts but Mainz also continued to press for the equaliser on the counter. Jonny Burkardt narrowly missed the target in the 21st minute (21’) and it looked as though the next goal would be crucial in the context of the game. But unfortunately for FSV, it came for the hosts, when Jamal Musiala beat Robin Zentner from around 18 yards (28’). 


Despite the 2-0 deficit, FSV continued to push and they came agonisingly close to getting back into the contest in the 32nd minute, when Jonny Burkardt smashed it against the crossbar from close range. The rebound fell into the path of Jae-Sung Lee, who rattled his effort against the post and the ball was gleefully snapped up by Ulreich (32’).


Frantic end to the first half


It looked as though Bayern would be two goals to the good at the break, but the crowd were treated to a frantic finish to the first half. It started when Sadio Mané was fouled by Alexander Hack in the penalty area and after a lengthy VAR check, the penalty was awarded. Robin Zentner saved the spot-kick but the rebound fell into the path of Mané, who tapped it home to give his side a 3-0 lead (43’). The penalty drama wasn’t over, though, as Mainz were awarded a penalty at the other end deep into stoppage time. Jonny Burkardt stepped up, but his weak effort was tipped over the bar by the Bayern goalkeeper (45+3). Incredibly, Silvan Widmer scored a header from the resulting corner kick to give his side hope at 3-1 (45+4).


Bayern put the game to bed in the second half


Widmer’s goal gave the guests belief and they made a bright start to the second half. Aaron looked particularly dangerous on the wing and he sought to find Widmer with a trademark cross with his famous left foot (49’) but the skipper couldn’t quite get on the end of it. Choupo-Moting then came close for the hosts when he hit the post from close range (54’).


Choupo-Moting’s effort seemed to inspire the hosts and they got their fourth not long after, when Leon Goretzka headed home a Mané cross (58’). FSV once again looked to respond and substitute Aymen Barkok forced a good save out of Sven Ulreich shortly after coming onto the field (65’), but in truth, the fourth goal knocked the stuffing out of the guests and Mathys Tel put the result beyond doubt in the 79th minute when he grabbed Bayern’s fifth via a deflected effort (79’). Substitute Marcus Ingvartsen gave the guests something to cheer about with just under ten remaining, when he scored his fifth goal in as many matches to bring the deficit back to three (82’). Choupo-Moting, however, grabbed Bayern’s sixth a few minutes later (86’).


All eyes now on Wolfsburg


Attention now turns to next Saturday, when Mainz welcome VfL Wolfsburg to the MEWA ARENA (15:30 CEST). 

Mainz suffer heavy defeat at the hands of FC Bayern

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *