RB Leipzig would like to qualify for the Champions League, VfL Bochum stay in the Bundesliga. To do that, both would like to pick up three points on Saturday. RBL have 45 points and are third in the league, while Bochum are currently in 14th place with 22 points.
Up until now, all eight games in the Bundesliga, 2. Bundesliga and DFB-Pokal have been won by RBL. Nevertheless, Bochum still represent a tough opponent.
Bochum have been in a relegation battle since the start of the season. With a 2-0 win over 1. FC Köln, Thomas Letsch’s men jumped out of the relegation zone for the first time in three matchdays.
We take a look at our next opponents.
Opponent Analysis: VfL Bochum
Bochum started the year promisingly, with two wins against fellow strugglers Hertha BSC and TSG 1899 Hoffenheim from their first four games in the New Year. This has been followed by a difficult spell of form recently, however, with four defeats in a row before three points against Köln giving them some breathing room from the relegation zone.
Key form facts:
VfL Bochum …
- … pick up points most often against teams from the bottom half of the table.
- … are strong at home, collecting five of their seven wins this season at the Ruhrstadion.
- Christopher Antwi-Adjei: The perfect winger for Bochum in transition. With his pace and dribbling ability, the Germany-born Ghana international is a constant danger to any defence. His six assists is the most of any Bochum player.
- PhilippHofmann: The target for Antwi-Adjeis in the box. The bullish centre-forward almost always starts for Bochum and with seven goals this season is their top-scorer and key man in attack. Thanks to his size he can play as a target man, receiving the ball before playing it on further to pacy wingers Takuma Asano and Antwi-Adjei, before then making his way into the box to pose a threat from crosses.
- Erhan Masovic: The centre-back has popped up with a few useful goals, scoring three times since the winter break. No player has scored more for Bochum in the second half of the season.
- Manuel Riemann: Bochum have conceded 56 goals, the most in the league, at the same time their goalkeeper has made the most saves in the league, making 95 saves in total. The 34-year-old also works as a calming influence and motivator for the Bochum backline.
- Christian Gamboa: The 33-year-old first-choice right-back has been out since the end of the first half of the season with an interior ligament rupture in his knee. In games since then, he has been replaced by either Konstantinos Stafylidis, Saidy Janko or Jordi Osei-Tutu.
- Simon Zoller:With 15 goals in the 2020/21 promotion season, he played a large part in Bochum’s success. Zoller has been plagued by injuries since then in the Bundesliga. Since mid-February, the 31-year-old has been absent with a thigh injury, which will also keep him out of the game against RB Leipzig on Saturday.
The latest RBL injury news can be found in our team news update.
Milestone in the first game against Bochum: Timo Werner’s 100th RBL goal
Thomas Letsch took over from Thomas Reis at VfL Bochum after matchday 7. At that point, the team were without a win and at the foot of the table with only one point. The 54-year-old has increasingly stabilised the team and formed them into a effective group in the battle against relegation.
With seven wins in 17 Bundesliga games, no other Bochum head coach was won more games than him.
Letsch started his coaching career in Austria in various positions at Red Bull Salzburg. More recently, he has coached Vitesse Arnheim in the Eredivisie and led the team to the KNVB Cup final in 2021.
Letsch’s record as Bochum coach:
- Bundesliga: 7 wins, 0 draws, 10 losses
- Goal record: 21:37 Tore
- DFB-Pokal: Narrow 2-1 defeat to Borussia Dortmund in the last 16
- 8 wins, 0 draws, 0 losses- 20:2 goals
- 3 home wins, 5 away wins
- Most goals: Christopher Nkunku (5 goals)
- Highest win: 4-0 on 1st October 2022 (goals: Werner, Nkunku) and on 3rd February 2021(goals: Haidara, Sabitzer, Poulsen)
Last five meetings
- 1st October 2022 | Bundesliga matchday 8:
RB Leipzig 4-0 VfL Bochum
- 27th February 2022 | Bundesliga 24 matchday:
VfL Bochum 0-1 RB Leipzig
- 2nd October 2021 | Bundesliga matchday 7:
RB Leipzig 3-0 VfL Bochum
- 3rd February 2021 | DFB-Pokal last 16:
RB Leipzig 4-0 VfL Bochum
- 2nd April 2016 | 2. Bundesliga matchday 28:
RB Leipzig 3-1 VfL Bochum