Cristiano Ronaldo has arrived for ‘showdown talks’ with Man Utd boss Erik ten Hag ahead of a possible January transfer, according to reports.
The Portugal international spent most of the summer transfer window looking for a way out of Old Trafford after the Red Devils failed to qualify for the Champions League.
A lack of interest in the legendary striker saw him remain at Man Utd with new manager Erik ten Hag insisting that Ronaldo was part of his plans.
Ronaldo has only been given two Premier League starts this season under Ten Hag with the manager preferring Marcus Rashford or Anthony Martial leading the line.
And his lack of game time came to a head last week when he refused to come off the bench in a 2-0 victory over Tottenham with Ronaldo also choosing to leave Old Trafford early.
The striker was fined and made to train by himself, while Ten Hag left him out of his squad for their 1-1 draw against Chelsea, with the Daily Mail reporting that Ronaldo will hold ‘showdown talks on Tuesday morning’ at United’s Carrington training ground.
Ten Hag ‘will hold clear-the-air talks today’ and they ‘will likely require a climbdown from Ronaldo if Ten Hag is to reintegrate him into the first team’.
The Daily Mail added:
‘Ronaldo has shown thinly veiled disdain for Ten Hag and his coaching team, to the extent of blatantly ignoring one senior staff figure.
‘As a result, there has been an overarching sense of animosity at the training ground.
‘Players are said to be aware of Ronaldo and Ten Hag clashing on a daily basis, although it is not affecting the spirit in camp.’
There is a strong possibility that Ronaldo will be looking for a way out of Man Utd in the January transfer window with The Sun now insisting that a return to Serie A, where he played for Juventus, is the most likely option.
Chelsea, Newcastle and Arsenal have all reportedly found a potential move for Ronaldo to be ‘too risky’ and now a Sun source has revealed that Italy is the “most likely destination”.
The source told The Sun: “Chelsea were interested in Ronaldo over the summer, but he is no longer on their radar.
“Arsenal and Newcastle realise the quality he would bring in helping them to achieve their ambitions.
“The most likely destination now is Italy. Napoli were interested in Ronaldo over the summer and are still keen.
“Adding him to their squad is a step they believe will help in their aim to remain top of Serie A and to progress through the Champions League.
“But it will come down to whether the club can match the eye-watering wage demands.”
READ MORE: Big Midweek: Ajax v Liverpool, Ten Hag v Ronaldo, Tottenham, Bellingham