The Champions League is in reach! After an exciting 2-1 win over Werder Bremen on matchday 32, RB Leipzig are within touching distance of Champions League qualification for another season.
RBL are currently leading the way in a three-way race for the remaining two Champions League places. We take a look at how Marco Rose’s side could secure qualification for next season’s competition on matchday 33.
Three scenarios for the weekend
After their 4-2 defeat against fellow Champions League chasers Union Berlin on matchday 32, SCFreiburg find themselves in 5th place. Christian Streich’s side will host VfL Wolfsburg on Friday evening, with Nico Kovac’s side hunting a place in next season’s Europa League.
RBL will be in action a day later when they take on FC Bayern in Munich.
RB Leipzig will qualify for the Champions League in the following scenarios:
- Freiburg lose to Wolfsburg, regardless of Saturday’s result.
- Freiburg draw against Wolfsburg and Leipzig draw or win against Bayern.
- Leipzig win against Bayern, regardless of Freiburg’s result.
The Champions League race – remaining fixtures:
- RB Leipzig: Bayern Munich (A), Schalke (H)
- 1. FC Union Berlin: Hoffenheim (A), Bremen (H)
- SC Freiburg: Wolfsburg (H), Frankfurt (A)