RB Leipzig drew 1-1 with Manchester City in an exciting Champions League last 16 game at the RB Arena.
Here’s what head coach Marco Rose and players Benjamin Henrichs, Emil Forsberg, Willi Orbán and Xaver Schlager had to say on the game.
- “The two halves were very different. In the first we were very passive and were tracking back a lot. The second half was completely different and we played the way we wanted. We played at Champions League standard and it was an even game.
We’re a completely different team when we make runs and can change the game when we have the ball. In the second half, we did a lot right. The stakes are high in Manchester and we’ll take the draw in our stride. We want to go there and do a lot of things right once more.”
- “The first half wasn’t good, but the second half was. We were trying to press them in midfield but weren’t aggressive enough. City managed to play around us.
For their goal I wanted Konni to be able to run onto the ball. Because we were under pressure I was rushed and I made a mistake in the timing of the pass.
We needed to be calmer on the ball. We had some good situations but didn’t play them out properly. That was the difference in the second half. Our passes were finding the mark and that put them under a bit more pressure and then they make the mistake.
We showed in the second half that they are vulnerable. Their technical players don’t enjoy a lot of physical play.”
- “There was more in it for us when you look at our second-half chances. When we play like we did in the second half, you can see that we can compete with Man City. During the break, the head coach told us to stay calm. We got Dominik Szoboszlai into the game more after that, which helped us become more dangerous.
You can play against them; we were patient in making our chances. We moved them well. We had the chances but should have taken them. Everything is to play for in the second leg.”
- “We made it clear at the break that there were a few things we needed to do better. Especially in our play in possession we made too many simple mistakes.
We saw what can happen today and what we don’t want. We can build on the second half, especially in our attacking play. We were able to make a few chances and scored a nice goal. We have to be focused from the first minute in the second leg and be present for the whole 90 minutes. That gives us a chance to win.”
- “We gave City too much time and it was too easy for them to play out from the back. That’s not what we wanted to do. In the second half we put them under more pressure and brought more intensity to the game. We were calmer on the ball and also found the solutions when under pressure.
We have to play like that in the second leg; it won’t be easy. Man City are a world class team and they almost always find the answers. But everything is possible in football. We’ll go to Manchester to win.”