FC Augsburg are the next side RBL face in their hunt for the Champions League!
With wind in their sails following the quarterfinal win in the DFB-Pokalagainst Borussia Dortmund,RBL once against managed to pick up a win in the league last Saturday. After two losses against Bochum and Mainz, the team picked up a 1-0 win against Hertha BSC.
Next up is the Bundesliga’s 13th-placed side FC Augsburg. The game earlier in the season was a dramatic 3-3 draw. André Silva, Christo Nkunku and Hugo Novoa scored for RBL to secure a draw having been 3-0 down at one point.
Spectacular comeback from RBL in reverse fixture
RBL come back from 3-0 down to draw in Augsburg
Head coach Enrico Maaßen and his side have to be careful not to get pulled into the relegation battle following a run of four winless games in a row. Six points currently separate FCA in 13th from VfB Stuttgart in the relegation play-off place.
Recently, the team had picked upa point against Schalke and Wolfsburg, before suffering a 3-1 defeat against Köln.
FCA Form facts
FC Augsburg …
- … compete hard and have received 77 cards this season, the most in the Bundesliga.
- … have a strong strike-partnership, with 16 of FCA’s 35 goals being scored by either Mergim Berisha and Ermedin Demirovic, who are also joint as the team’s top assist providers, with four apiece. Demirovic is suspended for the game against RBL, while Berisha is a doubt due to ankle problems.
- … have conceded the joint third most goals in the league alongside Hertha BSC and FC Schalke.
- FCA’s topscorer with nine goals, joint top assist provider with four
- Has scored eight of his nine goals against teams in the top half – including in the game against RBL earlier in the season
- Is FCA’s penalty taker and setpiece-taker, as well as being a strong dribbler and shooter
- Was called up by Germany coach Hansi Flick in the last international break and made his debut against Peru (2-0 win)
- Is currently out with ankle problems and is a doubt for the game against RBL
- Key defender and captain for FCA
- Competitive style of play, has picked up nine yellow cards this season, the second-most in the league
- Has won the most duels (239) and headers of any Augsburg player (84) this season
- Strong goalkeeper and important leader for the team
- Second-most shots saved in the league, fifth-best save percentage of all first-choice goalkeepers
- Niklas Dorsch (defensive midfielder): Nose surgery
- Tobias Strobl (defensive midfielder): Cruciate ligament
- André Hahn (right-winger / attacker): Cartilage damage
- Kelvin Yeboah (attacker): Ankle ligament
- Ermedin Demirovic (attacker): Suspended
The latest RBL injury news can be found in our team news update.
FC Augsburg is Enrico Maaßen’s first coaching position in the Bundesliga. The Wismar-born manager previously managed SV Drochtersen/Assel, SV Rödinghausen and Borussia Dortmund II. At 39 years-old, he is the second-youngest coach in the Bundesliga behind Bremen’s Ole Werner.
Enrico Maaßens FCA record:
- Head coach since 1st July 2022
- 9 wins| 5 draws| 15 defeats
- Average of 1.1 points-per-game
- Preferred formation: 4-4-2
Maaßen normally starts with two strikers in the shape of Ermedin Demirovic and Mergim Berisha. Recently, with both players out, they have started with Fredrik Jensen and Dion Beljo upfront.
RB Leipzig in the hunt for a Champions League place
Bundesliga run-ins: The race for the Champions League
RBL’s record against FC Augsburg
- 9 wins, 5 draws, 3 defeats- 28:15 goals
- 5 home wins, 4 away wins
- Top goalscorers: Timo Werner, Yussuf Poulsen, Christo Nkunku (4 goals)
- Biggest win: 4-0 on 8th May 2022 (Goals: André Silva, Christo Nkunku 2x, Emil Forsberg)
The last five meetings
- 22nd October 2022 | Bundesliga matchday 11: FC Augsburg – RB Leipzig | 3-3
- 8th May 2022 | Bundesliga matchday 33: RB Leipzig – FC Augsburg | 4-0
- 15th December 2021 | Bundesliga matchday 16: FC Augsburg – RB Leipzig | 1-1
- 12th February 2021 | Bundesliga matchday 21: RB Leipzig – FC Augsburg | 2-1
- 22nd December 2020 | DFB-Pokal 2nd round: FC Augsburg – RB Leipzig | 0-3