Kevin Kampl became the ninth player to make 200 competitive appearances for RB Leipzig during the game against VfL Bochum.
Our number 44 has been at the club since August 2017 and has made more professional appearances for the Bulls than for any other club.
We take a look back on Kevin’s career statistics, as well as speaking to him about the milestones he’s achieved at RBL so far.
An homage to our midfield motor
200 competitive games for RBL:
- Bundesliga: 139 games
- DFB-Pokal: 18 games
- UEFA Champions League: 25 games
- UEFA Europa League: 13 games
- UEFA Europa League qualifying: 4 games
- Super Cup: 1 game
His first game for RBL:
Kevin Kampl made his debut for RB Leipzig on 17th September 2017, in a 2-0 win at Hamburger SV. Our number 44 picked up his first goal involvement for the club that same day, providing the assist for Timo Werner’s 75th minute stike to make it 2-0.
We asked Kevin if he could remember this moment:
- “Of course I still remember my first game. It was in Hamburg, shortly after I’d joined Leipzig from Leverkusen. I travelled to Hamburg with the team straight away and was subbed on when we were 1-0 up.
Timo Werner sprinted across half the pitch to score our second. It must have been in 2017, if I remember correctly.”
“HABIBIS” with Kevin and Emil
His first goal:
Kampl’s first goal for RBL came on 9th December 2017, in a 2-2 draw against Mainz. The former Slovenia international (28 caps) put us ahead in the 29th minute.
Kampl, who has featured as a defensive, central and attacking midfielder, as well as a winger, has scored six goals and provided 19 assists for RBL. He has made it 1-0 on four occasions.
We asked Kevin if there’s any goal that sticks out in his mind:
- “Hearing that statistic, I can say that it’s definitely not enough goals. I’m not known for scoring goals – that’s what the others are there for. I wasn’t aware of the fact that I’d opened the scoring for us on four occasions. I can’t really single out any goal in particular.”
His 100th game for RBL:
His 100th competitive appearance for RBL came against Borussia Mönchengladbach on matchday 6 of 2020/21. Kampl was taken off in the 61st minute of a 1-0 defeat at Borussia-Park.
His most memorable games for RBL:
The most memorable match of Kevin’s career was the DFB-Pokal final last season. Our number 44 started the game and played his part in ensuring we lifted the cup inside Berlin’s Olympiastadion. It was the first major title Kampl has won in Germany.
We asked Kevin to tell us about his top three games for RB Leipzig:
- “Last season’s cup final is definitely in the top three. It was such a dramatic game against SC Freiburg, and definitely one of the best and more important games of my career.
I would also include the Champions League quarterfinal against Atlético Madrid. Unfortunately, we had to play behind closed doors in Lisbon due to the pandemic, but it was something special to reach the semi-finals of the Champions League. We were so close to reaching the final of the biggest club cup competition in Europe. The way we played against Atlético was incredible.
There’s so many other games with RBL that were special to me. Something else I won’t ever forget was the 3-2 win at home against Manchester United. We qualified for the next round that night, after a heavy defeat in Manchester. We dominated them at home and were 3-0 up, before conceding two unnecessary goals. I could definitely think of a few more, but those are three that I will never forget.”
RB Leipzig are DFB-Pokal champions!
His teammates during his time at RBL:
Our final question for Kevin was: which player have you played most often alongside?
- “It has to be either Emil Forsberg, Péter Gulácsi and Willi Orban. I played a lot with Marcel Sabitzer as well. I’m not sure how many it was though. What’s the answer?”
Here’s the answer:
➙ Péter Gulácsi: 169
➙ Willi Orban: 149
➙ Yussuf Poulsen: 143
Thank you for your tireless efforts for our club, both on and off the pitch! Here’s to many more games for RBL.