How does Marco Rose rate our next opponents Union Berlin? What does our head coach make of the Auslosung in der Champions League? And how is the squad shaping up ahead of the trip to Berlin?
The boss answered these and many other questions in today’s press conference. We’ve summarised Marco’s most important quotes below.
- Amadou Haidara (muscle injury) and El Chadaille Bitshiabu (MCL tear) aren’t available for selection yet.
- Yussuf Poulsen returned to training yesterday and will be fully back from Friday after picking up a head injury.
- Péter Gulácsiis on the right track and continues to work towards making a comeback.
- Timo Schlieck is currently doing rehabilitation work at the Athlete Performance Center in Thalgau. The goalkeeper injured his knee during training.
Union Berlin opponent analysis
All the latest team news
Marco Rose on…
- “We’re looking forward to the challenge. We know how the last few games have gone and would obviously love to pick up three points at the Alte Försterei again. We’re backing ourselves, but we know how dangerous they are at home. Above all, Union are a team who know how to win.
They’re very good at crossing and dangerous in the air. It’s definitely something for us to focus on. They play with three at the back and two strong strikers, who inject a lot of pace into the game and are a constant handful in the box.
Union have a very good squad and have brought in even more individualquality with players like RobinGosens. They‘ll play against RealMadrid in the Champions League, and I’m happy for Köpenick and the club.”
…RBL’s game plan for Sunday
- “We’ll need to play withmaturity and focus on ourselves. We want to bring ourquality to the table, so we don’t play into Union’s hands and give them what they want out of the game. We’ll need to be prepared for their crossing and mark their players in the box. It’s also important that we find solutions to play around their pressing.
It’s all about the first and secondballs in the first ten minutes. We’ve got to be strong in the tackle and close down space. To put it simply, it’s a matter of making the right decisions in the right moments.”
Marco Rose on…
…Benjamin Henrichs’ call-up to the Germany national team
- “It’s logical given Benny’s performancesoverthe past few months. Now, he has to keep his foot on the gas and prove that these performances weren’t a fluke.
He’s got to take the nextstep and assume more responsibility here in Leipzig. Then, he’ll be able to work his way towards being a regular for the nationalteam, and it goes without saying that I’d be pleased with this as a club coach.”
…the new-look RBL forward line
- “Our boys should always have the freedom to show off their individualquality, whatever the match situation. They should make their own decisions out there on the pitch, but we also clearly have basic set-ups and routines in positional play.
Positioning is important for us. If we don’t have it, things get out of hand quickly and we lose our shape and our planned sequences of play. That being said, within individual passages of play, the boys are allowed to show off their freedom and creativity.
This is important for Dani Olmo and Xavi. We also want to use the pace of Lois and Timo , as well as the cleverness and physicality of Sesko and Yussi.“
…..new arrival Christopher Lenz
- “It was a good, logical signing. He’s a goodbloke to have in the dressing room and has already proved that he can play in the ChampionsLeague. He’s settledinquickly and has hit the ground running.
We didn’t have another left-back who could play traditionally but who could also play down the line. We didn’t want to take the risk, and Chris is exactly the kind of player who can play in that role.”
It’s logical given Benny’s performances over the past few months.
Marco Rose on…
…the summer transfer window heading into deadline day today
- “After such a massive transition, we’ve once again got the feeling that we may be able to achieve something positive. However, I would still like to point towards how many quality players have left us and what that means for us. It’s going to take a little bit of time for us to find our rhythm.
Nevertheless, Max, Felix and our whole scouting network have done a great job. We’ve brought in some really good lads. I believe that we are really well-placed. We have goodmixture of youngplayers and experiencedheads.”
…the group-stage opponents in the Champions League
- “My first reaction was: “Manchester City again!” Then we were also drawn against RedStarBelgrade and YoungBoys. First and foremost, we are talking about the Champions League and about national champions. We have a lot of respect for every opponent.
We want to try once again to get a positive result against ManCity. We did very well against them at home last season.
In Bern, we are going to play away from home onanartificialpitch and we will need to adapt to these different conditions. RedStarBelgrade are a bigclub who won the European Cup in the 90s. The fans there are extremely passionate.
All in all, we have an excitinggroup which we believe we can progress from. We are looking forward to it.”