RB Leipzig narrowly lost 3-2 at Manchester City on Matchday 5 of the Champions League group stage. Read all the best facts from the match here!
More news from #MCIRBL
- Emil Forsberg led RBL out as captain in his newest landmark game – this was Emil’s 40th appearance for the club in the UEFA Champions League. No Leipzig player has more.
- Three changes: as well as Forsberg, Lukas Klostermann and Nicolas Seiwald replaced Benjamin Henrichs, Christoph Baumgartner and Yussuf Poulsen following the Wolfsburg game.
- We did not pick up any yellow cards, meaning that Mohamed Simakan and Benjamin Henrichs will be able to take part in our final group game against Bern despite having been on two bookings before the match.
- Lois Openda bagged his first brace in the Champions League and is now also RBL’s top scorer in this season’s competition with four goals.
- Our striker has now scored a total of 13 goals in 20 competitive games.
- Janis Blaswich also impressed as a playmaker and directly assisted Openda‘s opener with a long ball.
- The second goal came from yet another combination from our dynamic duo: pass from Xavi, goal from Lois Openda. Xavi now has a total of nine assists (two in the Champions League, seven in the Bundesliga).
- City’s 3-2 win confirmed that the Manchester side will go into the Round of 16 as group winners, with RB Leipzig in second place.
- We are still yet to take a single point from four games in Manchester (one vs. Manchester United, three vs. Manchester City).
Top statistics RBL
- RBL played 326 passes with an 85 percent completion rate. City’s was 93 percent (from 797).
- We had five shots on the opponent’s goal. Man City had 14.
- RBL won 46 percent of their individual battles in the game.